Opened in 1552 in the buildings formerly used by the Grey Friars. Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt in 1705 with the south front and the adjoining Christ Church designed by Sir Christoper Wren. Extended and rebuilt between 1793 and 1836. The school moved to Horsham in 1902. A more detailed history of the school can be found here.
Ilustration by W Luker from London City – its History, Streets, Traffic, Buildings and People by W J Loftie.
Archive of entries posted by Steve
Liverpool Street Station, 1891
Aldersgate Street, 1891
Old Putney Bridge, 1876
Etching by James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Part of the Maitland bequest to the National Galleries of Scotland.
India House, Leadenhall Street, c1850
Hand coloured engraving of the north view. From The Pictorial Field Book of the Revolution, volume 1, by Benson John Lossing.
Part of the Emmet collection of manuscripts relating to American History in the New York Public Library and used with permission.