Opened in 1552 in the buildings formerly used by the Grey Friars. Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt in 1705 with the south front and the adjoining Christ Church designed by Sir Christoper Wren. Extended and rebuilt between 1793 and 1836. The school moved to Horsham in 1902. A more detailed history of the school can be found here.
Ilustration by W Luker from London City – its History, Streets, Traffic, Buildings and People by W J Loftie.
Archive of posts tagged City of London
Liverpool Street Station, 1891
Aldersgate Street, 1891
City of London Theatre, 1838
Built in Bishopsgate by Samuel Beazley and opened in 1835, seating 2,500. Renamed the Royal City of London Theatre in 1843 and the New City of London Theatre in 1859. Destroyed by a fire in 1871. Unknown artist in the style of J Findlay.
From the Yale Center for British Art Paul Mellon Collection.