St James’s Royal Hotel, 1820

St James's Royal Hotel, 1820
At number 76 [Jermyn Street] stood until 1940 Hammum’s Hotel and Turkish Baths, opened about 1860 as the London and Provincial Turkish Bath Company. Hammum’s occupied the site of the former St James’s Hotel, and here Sir Walter Scott lodged for some time after his return from the continent in 1832, setting out on 7 July for Abbotsford, where he died on 21 September.
From The Face of London by Howard Clunn

Add a comment