Covent Garden Theatre, 1858

Covent Garden Theatre, 1858
The third theatre on the site (the previous ones burned down in 1808 and 1856). Designed by Edward Middleton Barry and built by the Lucas brothers. The theatre opened on May 15 with a performance of Meyerbeer’s Les Huguenots and became the Royal Opera House in 1892.
From the Illustrated London News, May 15, 1858.


Also published on Medium.

Add a comment