Columbia Market, Bethnal Green, 1869

Columbia Market, Bethnal Green, 1869
From the Illustrated London News, May 1, 1869, page 440
According to A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, Bethnal Green: In 1864 Henry Darbishire (who became an architect for the Peabody Trust) began the magnificent Columbia Market buildings in the style of a French Gothic cathedral. Opened in 1869, they included dwellings for shopkeepers.
More details can be found here.

Add a comment