Formerly The Tabard Inn, the rendezvous of Chaucer’s Canterbury Pilgrims. Next door to The George in Talbot Yard and the starting point of coaches to Brighton and the south coast. Demolished in 1873. For more details see The Brighton Road, The Classic Highway to the South by Charles G Harper.
Drawing by George Shepherd from the British Museum and used with permission under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license. Original © Trustees of the British Museum.
Archive of posts filed under the Southwark category.
John Bunyan’s Meeting House, Zoar Street
From London With Illustrations by Sir Walter Besant, published by Chatto & Windus in 1892, but likely to predate this.
The Survey of London, volume 22: Bankside (The parishes of St Saviour and Christchurch Southwark) (1950) says the meeting house was used as a workshop in 1819 and the area was rebuilt early in the 19th century. A photo of Zoar Street in 1912 can be seen here and more details can be found here.
Photo courtesy of the British Library via flickr.
Fishmongers’ Almshouses, c1840
Magic lantern slide number LH24-86a. Captioned: Fishmongers’ Almshouses. Newington later St George’s Road. c1840 (watercolour).
Also appeared as plate 51 in Survey of London, volume 25: St George’s Fields (The parishes of St George the Martyr Southwark and St Mary Newington) (1955). The survey reports:
“The Fishmongers’ Almshouses, which formerly stood at the corner of St George’s Road and Newington Butts, were built in 1618 at the expense of several members of the Company on ground bought from Jacob Smith. John Aubrey relates that they were named St Peter’s Hospital by King James I ‘as he came by it from Scotland, in allusion to St Peter, the Tutelar Saint of the Fishmongers’. They were described in 1814 as ‘twenty-two neat houses in three Courts, with a garden behind, and having a neat Chapel’. South of them and within the same enclosure was another almshouse, founded by James Hulbert of the Fishmongers’ Company in 1719 for 42 men and women. The almshouses stood with but little alteration until 1851, when they were moved to Wandsworth.”
More details here.