The Plough Inn and clock tower. Valentine’s postcard number 60122. Although the postcard is dated 1915 the photo (taken in Clapham High Street near the junction with Clapham Park Road) is from before 1907, when the tube station entrance was built.
Courtesy of Historic London.
Plan of the Tunnel with reference to the main roads and objects on the eastern part of London. Engraved and printed by W Warrington, for the Thames Tunnel Company.
From the New York Public Library and used with permission.
Built in 1791 by William Taylor to replace the theatre burnt down in 1789 during evening rehearsals. The first public performance was in 1793 and the theatre was then the largest in England. The theatre was renamed Her Majesty’s in 1837 when Victoria came to the throne.
From The Face of London by Howard Clunn.
Built in 1799 at a cost of £500,000 and designed by Jeremy Bentham. The walls were octagon shaped and enclosed 16 acres. Every convict sentenced to transportation was first sent to Millbank. The buildings held 1,120 prisoners until the prison was closed in 1890 and demolished in 1893. The Tate gallery then expanded on to the site.
From The Face of London by Howard Clunn. The engraving is probably based on a painting by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd.
Cholera and the Thames: a detailed artice by Johanna Lemon and Peter Daniel.
Tate Britain: the dreaded Millbank prison.
Knowledge of London: recent pictures of remains of some of the cells.
Opened in 1876 as a place of general amusement. In spite of its many attractions (which did not include fish) it was popular only for a short time and was demolished in 1902. Central Hall was built on the same site.
From The Face of London by Howard Clunn