Welcome to London Past, an ongoing project to make old images available to a wider audience. For more details please see the About page.
Etching by James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Part of the Maitland bequest to the National Galleries of Scotland.
Hand coloured engraving of the north view. From The Pictorial Field Book of the Revolution, volume 1, by Benson John Lossing.
Part of the Emmet collection of manuscripts relating to American History in the New York Public Library and used with permission.
The Plough Inn and clock tower. Valentine’s postcard number 60122. Although the postcard is dated 1915 the photo (taken in Clapham High Street near the junction with Clapham Park Road) is from before 1907, when the tube station entrance was built.
Courtesy of Historic London.
Plan of the Tunnel with reference to the main roads and objects on the eastern part of London. Engraved and printed by W Warrington, for the Thames Tunnel Company.
From the New York Public Library and used with permission.
Built in 1791 by William Taylor to replace the theatre burnt down in 1789 during evening rehearsals. The first public performance was in 1793 and the theatre was then the largest in England. The theatre was renamed Her Majesty’s in 1837 when Victoria came to the throne.
From The Face of London by Howard Clunn.